Help with an 911 SC 1980 first delivered to Sweden

Forumet för de tekniska frågorna.
blue-minerva

Help with an 911 SC 1980 first delivered to Sweden

Post by blue-minerva »

Hi there,

First of all, I apologize for "crashing" into your forum and typing in English. My name is Alexander and I have recently moved to Norway were I purchased my 1980 911 that was originally delivered in Sweden and than imported to Norway in 1994. I'm still in the process of getting to know the car and upon checking the original specifications under which the car was delivered from the factory, I found that one of the options was "Equipment for Sweden".

Would anyone know what this means?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Alexander
peterc

Re: Help with an 911 SC 1980 first delivered to Sweden

Post by peterc »

Headlight washers. Permanent dipped beam (reducera). Large battery. Smog pump (some years)
This is what I know from the top of my head.
Best Regards
Peter
Hälsningar
Peter C
Med vatten endast i spolarburken
peterc

Post by peterc »

peterc wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:36 pm Headlight washers. Permanent dipped beam (reduced) Large battery. Smog pump (some years)
This is what I know from the top of my head.
Best Regards
Peter
Hälsningar
Peter C
blue-minerva

Post by blue-minerva »

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for the reply. Indeed my car has all of these. Appreciate the help.

Best regards,
Alexander
felix83

Post by felix83 »

When did a right hand wing mirror become mandatory in Sweden? My '82 had it retrofitted, presumably when it was imported from Germany in '85. That might have been part of the Swedish standard equipment in that case.

Edit: apparently it was mandatory here from 1969 onwards.
/Felix
911 SC coupe -82
Triumph Street Triple RS -17

924 Targa -77 (såld)

Instagram: @orebro.classics
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

As the weather forecast have promised snow it could be an idea to spend some hours in front of the fireplace and recollect some thoughts on the theme.

It's option vise one thing and legally something different the option has an M number.

But a few thought about legal things and let me take some time to mention a few examples which is not straight forward to the topic but related. In Brazil there have been or at least a rule that says that the car should be equipped with a fire extinguisher, in some other countries on that continent it needs to be an specific fire stopping shield under the car body and some special under the carpet as well in the coupe.

Other bodyshell differences such as threads (inch system)for rear safety belts can be found in Australia and New Zeeland.

Engine differences I remember an engine - not a Porsche - but the version for Angola had conrods 0,3 mm longer than row to get a higher compression ratio to compensate for bad fuel.

So which differences we can have in a Porsche 911SC intended for the Swedish market depends on what we consider as base. Perhaps it's natural to take the German versions to compare with.

As options are very good money spinners for car manufacturers in most cases the offer a lot as long as we are taking about premium or luxury cars. The ''wünsch'' program is extensive as we know in very small details in many case. The production guys doesn't like that of course - the Japanese way with all included is cost effective production.

To be little bit more straight forward I guess that the Swedish version hade minor differences as most people don't even look for. Possible aspects to consider can be as following:

Are the mirrors heated-probably not needed on all markets
Are the mirrors of the same type - probably not, the magnification differs even between positions. Magnification comes from the radius of the glass. US objects in mirror are closer that they appear etc
Tinted glass-upper area of windshield, whole tinted, or in combination with whole and extra in upper area
Rear window electrical heated-probably not all markets
Did the Swedish cars have for lights - I think so
The speedometer can have different markings for top speed
The battery for Sweden was indeed larger 66 Ah
Did they have radios - if so I guess that there was a possibility to have different models as standard depending on in which country they were sold. US have different frequencies as an example.

Much of the typical options was specified by the importer so it was to be considered as standard

At least for cars that was older i.e from the sixties the markings on the rear lights was not approved in Sweden so they had an extra cat eye reflex added in Sweden at the sides of the license plate.
Last edited by Johannes on Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Sorry for the Swedish, and one model year later...
Attachments
IMG_7771.jpeg
IMG_7771.jpeg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 823 times
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Another example from the line of SC (Sport Carrera sometimes called Super Carrera what's right or wrong is unclear) from 78/79
At the time there was chrome or black around the windows tho choose from as an option. Black became standard one year earlier in Germany.

A small and unusual brochure few pages and in Swedish. Dealers normally had the German versions. Here on my ironing board!
Attachments
IMG_7772.jpeg
IMG_7772.jpeg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 819 times
peterc

Post by peterc »

I have a Swedish delivered SC 83 Cab and it has NO fog lights.
Super Carrera and similar denominations I regard as B-S. Even since the RS from 1973 the chassie plate is stamped 911 SC.
Hälsningar
Peter C
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Seems like Porsche themselves are using the term Super Carrera. In some other sources among them speech by Mr Jürgen Bart and some of his book I have seen Sport Carrera. The designation and what it stands for is not the important thing in itself. There is a lack of logic in the lettering after 911 during the years. Way back when the S was introduced the other 6 cyl version was called ''Normal'' and the on year later ''L'' and at the same time race cars could was mentioned as 911 with Carrera 6 engine. But all that can perhaps be better discussed in a separate thread one rainy day.

But for the SC there have been variants in spec changed cooling fan and oil pump as an example.

SC 3.1 L
SC RS remains me of a Ford build in Europe with an alphabet in the lid
SC Weissach Edition
SC Safari was one name used for the race cars...

Below please see a screen shot from Porsche.com
Attachments
IMG_7787.PNG
IMG_7787.PNG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 676 times
peterc

Post by peterc »

When it comes to people at the factory who knows very little about the history, you will find them i plenty. Just ask for the Marketing departement. Super Carrera they have been told at the introduction by some in their middle twenties. 🫤
As I wrote before, the term SC has been used since the RS. More likely I think it stands for S-Carrera. After all it is an S with larger engine and wider rear wings.
Hälsningar
Peter C
Sven

Post by Sven »

The ”SC” designation was used long before in the 356 era. It was the Super Version of the C-model, which had a 1600 cc engine with an output of 95hp. Nothing Carrera there…
In the 356 days, the Carrera always had the four-cam engine starting in 1955.
356A -59
Carrera -84